In memory of Professor Frank Bisby (24/04/1945 — 25/10/2011), founder and champion of Catalogue of Life. Frank was a leader in the global communication of taxonomy and biodiversity informatics and a passionate advocate for his science. He had a profound impact on this international effort to catalogue the world's species and he will be forever honoured and remembered by his colleagues. 2012 Annual Checklist contains contributions from 115 databases with information on 1,404,038 species, 86,434 infraspecific taxa and also includes 847,912 synonyms and 351,303 common names covering the following groups (all statistical figures in the booklet are based on the interface version 1.6 and might have minor deviations from figures displayed in the interface version 1.8):
Viruses • Viruses and Subviral agents from ICTV_MSL
Protozoa • Major groups from ITIS Regional and AlgaeBase, • Ciliates from CilCat NEW!, • Polycystines from WoRMS Polycystina NEW!, • Protozoan fungi from Species Fungorum and Trichomycetes database • Slime moulds from Nomen.eumycetozoa.com UPDATED!
Fungi • Various taxa in whole or in part from CABI Bioservices databases (Species Fungorum, Phyllachorales, Rhytismatales, Saccharomycetes and Zygomycetes databases) and from three other databases covering Xylariaceae, Glomeromycota, Trichomycetes, Dothideomycetes Lichens from LIAS UPDATED!
Plantae (Plants) • Mosses from MOST • Liverworts and hornworts from ELPT UPDATED! • Conifers from Conifer Database UPDATED! • Cycads and 6 flowering plant families from IOPI-GPC and 99 families from WCSP UPDATED! • Plus individual flowering plants families from AnnonBase UPDATED!, Brassicaceae, ChenoBase NEW!, Droseraceae Database, EbenaBase NEW!, GCC UPDATED!, ILDIS, LecyPages, LHD, MELnet NEW!, RJB Geranium, Solanaceae Source, World Umbellifer Database NEW!.
Animalia (Animals) • Marine groups from WoRMS (including 7 New! checklists), URMO, ITIS, Hexacorals, ETI WBD (Euphausiacea) • Rotifers from Rotifera database • Entoprocts, water bears from ITIS • Freshwater crabs from FWCrabs UPDATED! • Spiders, scorpions, ticks & mites from SpidCat, SalticidDB , ITIS, TicksBase, Mites GSDs, SpmWeb UPDATED! & BdelloideaBase UPDATED! • Diplopods, centipedes, pauropods and symphylans from SysMyr and ChiloBase • Dragonflies and damselflies from Odonata UPDATED! database • Stoneflies from PlecopteraSF • Cockroaches from BlattodeaSF UPDATED! • Praying mantids from MantodeaSF • Stick and leaf insects from PhasmidaSF • Grasshoppers, locusts, katydids and crickets from OrthopteraSF • Webspinners from EmbiopteraSF • Some groups of true bugs from ScaleNet, FLOW UPDATED!, COOL UPDATED!, Psyllist UPDATED!, AphidSF , MBB, 3i Cicadellinae UPDATED!, 3i Typhlocybinae UPDATED! & MOWD• Twisted-wing parasites from Strepsiptera Database NEW! • Lacewings, antlions, owlflies, fishflies, dobsonflies & snakeflies from LDL Neuropterida • Some beetle groups from the Scarabs UPDATED!, TITAN UPDATED!, WTaxa & ITIS • Fleas from Parhost • Flies, mosquitoes, bots, midges and gnats from Systema Dipterorum, CCW & CIPA UPDATED! • Butterflies and moths from LepIndex, GloBIS (GART), Tineidae NHM UPDATED!, World Gracillariidae UPDATED! • Bees & wasps from ITIS, Taxapad Ichneumonoidea, UCD and ZOBODAT Vespoidea UPDATED! • Snails and slugs from AFD (Pulmonata) • Fishes from FishBase UPDATED! • Reptiles from TIGR Reptiles • Amphibians, birds and mammals from ITIS
The Catalogue of Life Editors
The Catalogue of Life programme combines the outputs of the Species 2000 programme (led by Frank Bisby † from Reading, UK) and the ITIS programme (led by Thomas Orrell from Washington, USA). Assembly and publication of the Annual Checklist is managed by Yuri Roskov in Reading working with colleagues around the world.
• Frank Bisby †, Species 2000 Executive Secretary (until November 2011) at the CoL Secretariat, University of Reading, UK
• Yuri Roskov, Catalogue of Life Executive Editor at the CoL Secretariat, University of Reading, UK
• Alastair Culham, PI for i4Life and 4D4Life (from December 2011) EC projects at the CoL Secretariat, University of Reading, UK.
• Thomas Orrell, ITIS Deputy Director, ITIS Secretariat, Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC, USA
• David Nicolson, ITIS Data Development Leader, USGS/Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC, USA
• Luvie Paglinawan, Catalogue of Life Database Manager, at the CoL Philippines Office, FIN, Los Baños, Philippines
• Nicolas Bailly, Taxonomic Editorial Advisor for Marine sectors and CoL Philippines Office, FIN, Los Baños, Philippines
• Ward Appeltans, WoRMS database Manager, VLIZ, Oostende, Belgium
• Paul Kirk, Taxonomic Editorial Advisor for Fungi and Chromista sectors at CABI, Egham, UK
• Thierry Bourgoin, Taxonomic Editorial Advisor for Insects at the Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle, Paris, France
• Guy Baillargeon, Taxonomic Editorial Advisor for Plants at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
• David Ouvrard, 4D4Life GSD network convener at the Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle, Paris, France
The Catalogue of Life Assembly Team
• Luvie Paglinawan, Catalogue of Life Database Manager and Luisa Abucay, Assistant for CoL Database Manager, at the CoL Philippines Office, FIN, Los Baños, Philippines.
• Viktoras Didžiulis, Production Systems Manager & Developer at the CoL Secretariat, University of Reading, UK
Under coordination of Yuri Roskov at the CoL Secretariat, University of Reading, UK
Annual Checklist Software Development
• Wouter Addink, Leader of the Annual Checklist Software Development and Software Production at ETI Bioinformatics, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
• Dennis Seijts, Annual Checklist Interface Development at ETI Bioinformatics, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
• Gideon Gijswijt, Annual Checklist DVD Master and Installation Development at ETI Bioinformatics, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
• Ruud Altenburg, author of Base Schema Conversion Software at ETI BioInformatics, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
• Núria Torrescasana Aloy, former author of the Annual Checklist Software at ETI BioInformatics, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
• Richard White, author of the Taxon Matcher Software at Cardiff University, UK
• Viktoras Didžiulis, design of new data assembly workflow, author of the CoL Workbench, at University of Reading, UK.
• Paul Klinkenberg, Annual Checklist Cover Design and DVD Production at ETI Bioinformatics, Amsterdam, The Netherlands